Parents of all current HIES students are members of the HIES Parents’ Association (PA). The PA's events, programs, and operations are run by more than 80 parent volunteers who serve as officers and chairs. Hundreds of parent volunteers sign up to help with various activities from time to time.
The PA is organized around three key areas: Fundraising events, Community Life programs, and Division- and Grade-Level Representatives.
What We Do
The PA supports our school's academic programs, provides "extras" that enrich the lives of our students and parents, and promotes meaningful communication between our parents and Administration. Our Communication, Fundraising and Community Life committees marshal the talents of hundreds of volunteers to make this happen.
Through our fundraising efforts, we funded special request projects in each school division that directly benefit HIES students, including these fun, engaging, and compelling additions:
- PS playground stage; dry-erase desks and wobble chairs
- LS keyboards for iPads; playground and sports equipment
- Funding for MS experiential learning games and educational speakers
- MS shelving for book nook and recess sports equipment
- Funding for Science Palooza & Global Scholar in Residence
- Funding for US freshman retreat; video cameras for US common areas
- New monkey bars for Traverse climbing wall
- US air quality and weather monitoring system; sound system for Rock and Roll class
- Contribution to state-of-the-art central security monitoring site
The Parents’ Association has supported the Our Time Capital Campaign for HIES and is proud to have funded two new spaces:
- The Upper School Golden Bears Media Center - Located in the new Humanities building (now open), the new media center is a 4,100 sf space that supports a variety of functions and programs. One area of the center is dedicated to socialization, independent work and casual gatherings, and another area is configured more like a traditional library with shelving to accommodate 10,000 volumes of books; flexible, movable tables and chairs; and overhead projection screens for seminar-style presentations. The two areas of the media center are connected with a two-story atrium space looking down to the art gallery and also housing the circulation desk and faculty offices/workrooms.
- The Lower School Makerspace - This will be a valuable multipurpose space (to be completed August 2022). It will serve as a staging area for our new co-curricular chess program, additional pull-out space for learning support and expand opportunities for project-based learning. We see this as a dynamic area for creativity and critical thinking. Finally, we added a flex room for enrollment fluctuation by grade and overflow. It may also be used for small group learning.
The PA also contributed to the Annual Fund and Financial Aid programs. Other important functions of our PA include:
- Welcoming new families to HIES
- Providing parent representation for each grade and division
- Hosting Faculty/Staff Appreciation Luncheons and Teacher Treats breakfasts
- Running the Bear WearHouse
- Offering Cotillion classes for 6th grade students
- Offering Parent Education Classes
- Providing daily fresh fruit for snacks in Middle and Upper Schools
- Communicating with monthly grade level newsletters, timely posts to our Facebook page and text alerts to highlight time-critical needs and highlight important information.
To get involved or receive more information on volunteer opportunities click here.
We welcome parents to get involved with us, join us at our PA General Meetings, and volunteer with us in one or more of our PA activities and events this year!
Shop the Bear WearHouse on Campus for Used HIES Uniforms
Bear WearHouse is your source for gently-used uniforms. Located on the terrace level of Alumni Hall, Bear WearHouse collects current, gently-used uniforms and resells them to parents at significant savings. Uniform items for all divisions and grade levels can be found in stock, and volunteers can assist with selecting the appropriate attire for your student.
Bear WearHouse will be open every Wednesday 7:30-10 a.m. Please note that Bear WearHouse uses the school calendar so if the school is closed Bear WearHouse will be closed.
Donations of clean, used uniforms and spirit wear are always welcome. Clean uniforms and spirit wear can be placed in the bin outside Alumni Hall. Please contact Robin Finley or Wendy Mattson with any questions.
Back again this year, a fantastic opportunity for students in grades 8-12 to earn service hours while helping the Bear WearHouse!
Come join us! Our staff is made up entirely of volunteers, and we would love to have you! Contact us to help during our regular operating hours on Wednesdays during the school year.
Join us for our 2022-2023 General PA Meetings:
Friday, September 9, 2022
Location: Lower School Hardwick Family Media Center
Speaker: Paul Barton, Head of School
Friday, November 4, 2022
Location: STEM Dining Hall Speaker: TBD
Thursday, January 19, 2023
Location: LS Maker Space Speaker: TBD
Thursday, April 6, 2023
Location: STEM Dining Hall Speaker: Jessica Ramm, Director of College Counseling
Friday, May 5, 2023
Location: STEM Dining Hall Speaker: Paul Barton, Head of School
Livestream and recordings will be available for all meetings.
Help HIES earn .5% on most purchases by visiting smile.amazon.com (instead of amazon.com). Just select Holy Innocents’ Parents Association. Same website and pricing, same user name and password to sign in, and it doesn’t affect any of your Prime Membership benefits!