Parents of all current HIES students are members of the HIES Parents’ Association (PA). The PA's events, programs, and operations are run by more than 80 parent volunteers who serve as officers and chairs. Hundreds of parent volunteers sign up to help with various activities from time to time.
The PA is organized around three key areas: Fundraising events, Community Life programs, and Division- and Grade-Level Representatives.
What We Do
The PA supports our school's academic programs, provides "extras" that enrich the lives of our students and parents, and promotes meaningful communication between our parents and Administration. Our Communication, Fundraising and Community Life committees marshal the talents of hundreds of volunteers to make this happen.
Through our fundraising efforts in the 2018-19 school year, we funded special request projects in each school division that directly benefit HIES students, including these fun, engaging, and compelling additions:
- PS playground stage; dry-erase desks and wobble chairs
- LS keyboards for iPads; playground and sports equipment
- Funding for MS experiential learning games and educational speakers
- MS shelving for book nook and recess sports equipment
- Funding for Science Palooza & Global Scholar in Residence
- Funding for US freshman retreat; video cameras for US common areas
- New monkey bars for Traverse climbing wall
- US air quality and weather monitoring system; sound system for Rock and Roll class
- Contribution to state-of-the-art central security monitoring site
The PA also contributed to the Annual Fund and Financial Aid programs. Other important functions of our PA include:
- welcoming new families to HIES
- providing parent representation for each grade and division
- hosting Faculty/Staff Appreciation Luncheons and Teacher Treats breakfasts
- running the Bear WearHouse
- offering Cotillion classes for 6th-grade students
- offering Parent Education Classes
- providing daily fresh fruit for snacks in Middle and Upper schools
- communicating with monthly Grade Level Newsletters, timely posts to our Facebook page and text alerts to highlight time-critical needs and highlight important information.
We welcome parents to get involved with us, join us at our PA General Meetings, and volunteer with us in one or more of our PA activities and events this year!